Griswold School, 1934

Griswold School 1934

The Griswold School was located at the corner of South Fowlerville and Bowen (now Layton) Roads. It burned November 29, 1897 and was rebuilt in 1898 by Gottlieb Kuehnle. After it was closed, it was used for many years as first an Oliver tractor dealership, then a White tractor dealership. Beginning in the 1990s the building was essentially abandoned and fell into disrepair. It was burned by the Fowlerville Fire Department on January 8, 2005.

This is the country school (or at least one of them) that baseball great Charlie Gehringer attended. Gehringer's family lived just up the hill from the school, about a half mile away.

Site and Photos, unless otherwise noted, are copyright 2007-2017 by Michael Grimm.