#14. Commercial Hotel and Service Station, southwest corner of Grand River and Grand Avenue

Commercial Hotel, Mar. 14, '37

In 1880 the Commercial Hotel was built to replace the old wooden Reason House, which had been built in 1854 and burned on February 3, 1878. Traveling salesmen could show their wares in areas provided on the first floor known as "sample rooms." The hotel was torn down in 1937 and a Hi-Speed (later Pure, then Union 76) gas station stood at this corner for many years. This photo was taken just before demolition in 1937.

Site and Photos, unless otherwise noted, are copyright 2007-2017 by Michael Grimm.