Shortly after the Civil War, J. L. Cook began a hardware store. In 1891 the store with the arch on the second floor (above) was built and continues as a hardware store. At the time of this photo the hardware was owned by Titmus and Converse. The store on the left was built sometime later, and in this photo, was being used by L. M. Shorman to sell and repair farm implements and buggies. From 1940 until 1956 the store on the left was the site of the Orr Theatre. Today both buildings are Fowlerville Hardware.