Blackmer & Minto opened their menswear store in 1896. After several moves, they opened their final location at 214 East Grand River in 1906. In the late 1950s the business was sold to Frank Utter, who eventually renamed the store Utter's Men's Wear. Later Utter expanded into the Tomion's Dairy building at the far left and added women's clothing. The store closed in 1991.