The large Italianate villa-style home at 434 E. Grand River was built in 1881-1883 by Frank H. Starkey, who owned a barrel stave factory in town near the railroad tracks. Later it was the home of Judge Arthur E. Cole, who died of a heart attack in the front upstairs bedroom. One of his daughters, unmarried, then lived in the home for many years. It was purchased by Brian and Sheri Kennedy in 1992 when it was a multi-family rental. They have conducted extensive expansion and restoration, including reproducing its original exterior color scheme.